Tuesday 16 May 2017

Mother's Day


When I think about Mother's Day I think about lilacs. Here in the "pacific northwest" the lilacs are almost always blooming on Mother's Day. Lilacs were my grandma's favourite flower. Her birthday and anniversary were always on or near Mother's Day, so I associate Mother's Day with celebrating those occasions too. I've been thinking about her a lot lately. This year my parents were out visiting, so I was able to host a nice family dinner. Then my parents stayed to babysit and Jesse and I got to go away for the night!  It was our first night away from the kids in two years! It was wonderful to have some quality, uninterrupted time with each other - and some uninterrupted sleep!

Being a mom has challenged me and stretched me in ways that I never imagined. Every day I struggle against the desire to complain and compare my day to my childless friends' who get to "do whatever they want". But I wouldn't change being the mother of these two rambunctious, adventurous, thoughtful, smart, caring little boys for the world. I am their mother, and I will never be the same again.

It blows my mind to think of the number of mothers in the world, giving so much of themselves every day to nurture and build up the children that God has given them (whether biologically their own or not). Mothers, you make a world of difference. You are heroes!





No comments:

Post a Comment