Monday 4 December 2017

Disruptive Children

"Your kids are being very disruptive."

I don't think any parent likes hearing those words, but as the young woman returned haughtily to her seat, I was left reeling. How was I supposed to respond to that? It's not like I didn't know they were being disruptive. That is exactly why we sit up in the balcony at church—so that the boys can move and talk without making too much of a disturbance. This particular Sunday they were especially antsy. All that would stop them from trying to unplug the Christmas lights was running lengths back and forth on the landing at the top of the stairs. I was acutely aware of how noisy they were being, and I was keeping them as quiet as I could.

When that young woman came storming over to me like that, part of me wanted to respond very sarcastically: Thank you, Captain Obvious, I was not aware that my toddler is currently having a meltdown over not being allowed to play with electricity. Thanks for letting me know. But my annoyance was completely overshadowed by my embarrassment and shame. If one person is upset enough to talk to me like that, how many more people are resenting the presence of my rambunctious little family? I felt self-conscious, judged, and unwanted. A social leper. Feverishly, I redoubled my efforts to contain the boys. After Jesse took them to Children's Church, I sat alone, with tears in my eyes. I didn't know how to process what had just happened. I'm still trying to process it.

As the mother of two energetic little boys, I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later. It probably won't be the last time either. But as a recovering people-pleaser who is constantly aware of the emotions of others, it's really hard to know that other people are being bothered by my children. I don't want to be disruptive, I really don't. But I also want my children to be able to live without constantly being shushed and told to sit down. I want them to grow up knowing that they are valued members of the community, just the way they are—not second class citizens until they've had the enthusiasm of youth choked out of them. I also want to be able to continue to live my life, with my kids in it. I want to be able to sit with them in church, and go to events with them, and include them in things. So I guess that means there will be people who find my children disruptive. But I still feel pretty awful about it. I don't like bothering people.

As for the rest of my story, thankfully there were a couple of things that helped me get though the rest of the morning at church. It was a communion service, and one of the pieces that the pianist played during communion was from Handel's Messiah. That made me think of my favourite Aria from the Messiah, "He shall feed his flock":

"He shall feed his flock like a shepherd
And he shall gather the lambs with his arm
And carry them in his bosom
And gently lead those that are with young."

The memory of those words made me want to cry: and gently lead those that are with young. Oh, how us mothers of the young need that gentle hand! Stretched to our limit day after day to care for and raise these little ones who take every drop of love and attention and patience that we can give. By our own standards and the world's we so often fall short. But no matter how many voices of judgment and criticism there may be, our Saviour is gentle with us. And his is the voice that really matters.

After the service I was also able to talk with a friend who had seen the whole exchange. His indignation on my behalf helped me feel a lot better too.

14 comments:

  1. Oh man! Does this make me cry. We've all been there! Those comments can sting our already fragile (and sometimes insecure) hearts. But what I have come to realize, is that for every one person who finds our children disruptive, there are a handful who come to church that love them for who they are. Jesus said, "let the little children come to me." And I'm fairly certain that children are full of exuberence, laughter, tantrums, and loud little voices. I remember that after a particularily hard morning, an elderly gentleman came to me to tell me just that. There was a new couple in the church that told me once that they continue to attend because of our children. They have since joined the church and in their testimony repeated that they love the children (in all their crazy glory).

    I once wrote a blog post about this exact thing. (https://twotiredsoles.blogspot.ca/2016/05/the-hardest-place-to-parent-child.html). I encourage you to go and read it.
    It can be hard to understand deep in our hearts, but please know that you and your children (in whatever state they come in that day) are welcome. You are a good mom! And you are welcome here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your encouraging words! I'm glad that occurrences like this are the exception—we really do feel accepted and loved at our church.

      Delete
  2. I didn't see the exchange but could tell something was bothering you. I'm so sorry! Know that we are thrilled to be part of a church with you and your kids! I was so happy to have S help out in the library after church. You and Jesse are doing a great job of raising kind, adventurous boys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Cyndy, for posting this more widely. I can't help but respond. I am thankful to be able to be part of Emmanuel for so many reasons, but one of the most important reasons is the young families and lively children that are part of our church family. They are one of the most life-giving parts of church.

    I'm sure that even the few people that might criticize would realize, if they stopped to think about it, that they would not want to be without any of these special little people.

    Stan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Having gone through something similar many years, only much more public in some ways, I'm sorry that this happened. One Sunday during Children's time (not this church) our not yet 2yr old daughter got away from me and wandered across the stage. The next Sunday there was a bulletin announcement stating that children's time was only for those 2yrs and older. Not a good feeling. We love to have all the little children in church. - Erna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a hard experience! I'm thankful for you and everyone else who is so open and welcoming to our rambunctious little ones.

      Delete
  5. I’m so sorry that you had this experience. We had someone say something similar to us just this past Sunday and it made me feel so sad and discouraged. I guess I wanted to let you know you aren’t alone! You are a great Mom and this parenting gig is so wonderful, but can also be so hard.

    Karmen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that you experienced a similar thing recently! Thanks for your encouragement, you are a great mom too!

      Delete
  6. Hi Leane. I was moved to tears from your recent post. I know how you feel. Although it has not happened to me at church, I have had similar episodes with my children as well, leaving crying and feeling embarrassed and shameful. But reflecting back you nor I did absolutely nothing wrong. I do not know why people do this and say these things. Children are so important. There is no future without them. Know you are not alone and a great mom! Pam Carter

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can identify! Way back when our oldest was a baby, one day I found an anonymous note in our church mailbox. I still remember the exact wording; it's burned into my brain: "We love your son but he is too noisy in church. We had guests last week and were embarrassed that the crying was louder than the pastor. We do have a baby room." Oh, how I cried! That was the most hurtful thing, reading that note and remembering the horrible pain I felt. Did the writer never have children? Had they forgotten? The fact that it was anonymous was even more hurtful -- and yet I was grateful that I never knew who wrote it, because I would never have looked at them the same way again. That was thirty years ago but I still remember how awful it made me feel. I try to remember this when kids are noisy in church -- that my kids were too. I am glad your children are there and glad they are learning what church is all about from a young age. This will not last forever, so be encouraged!

    ReplyDelete