Friday 19 May 2017

My Cycle of Writing

For the last few months I have been a part of a collaborative storytelling project called Captives where we receive monthly writing prompts and each write about our own character and how they respond to the people and events that they encounter. (I mentioned it before in this post.) I recently noticed that I have developed a certain routine based around its regular prompts and submission deadlines, and as I find it rather humorous, I decided to share it with you! Although it is specific to this writing project, I think it also reflects my approach writing and creativity in general. Welcome to my head.
_______

*Receives new writing prompt

Oooh! Shiny! So exciting! The plot thickens!

I have no idea what to do with this. My chapter will literally be ten words long.

Hmm I guess this could happen and that could happen, okay this could be good.

So many ideas! I am a genius of storytelling!

My chapter is literally going to be fifty million words long but I don't care. It will be brilliant.

Aaaaaahhhhh it's the night before the deadline!!! Stay up all night!! Must finish the chapter!

Okay... I think it's done... let's just read it over twenty more times to make sure it's perfect.

*Submits new chapter

What if he doesn't like it?? What if it's actually an awful chapter???

*Hides under blanket

*Receives positive feedback

Yay! Approval! I am a good writer after all!

...

...Now what?

...So many withdrawal symptoms...

*Receives new prompt

*And repeat*
_______

Interested in following along with the story as it unfolds? Check out Captives on tumblr.

No comments:

Post a Comment