Thursday 17 September 2015

Fabric Letters


My favourite project that I was able to do while we were staying at my in-laws was making a set of fabric letters.  My original thought was to make a whole alphabet, but I decided I wouldn't have enough time for that, so instead I made the letters to spell Steven's name.

I decided to make each of the letters out of a different fabric that somehow connected to the letter that it was being used for.  Can you figure them out?  (Some are a bit more obscure than others...)


To make fabric letters, you need two pieces of fabric for each letter.  I made mine 6 inches by 9 inches.


You also need a piece of cotton batting for each letter, the same size as the fabric.  You sandwich the batting between the two pieces of fabric so that the fabric is right side out on both sides of the batting.  Pin the fabric to the batting.


Then you need to make a stencil for each letter.  You could do this by printing something off a computer, but it is also easy to do by hand.  I cut 6x9 pieces of paper and drew letter shapes on them in pencil, adjusting them until I liked how they looked, and then cut them out.


I pinned my letter stencils to the fabric squares, but you could also trace them with a fabric pencil.


Then you stitch the shape of your letter, either along the edge of the stencil, or along the shape you drew from tracing the stencil.  I used a wide, close together zig-zag stitch.


Remove the stencil and pins, and remove the extra fabric by trimming close to the stitching.


Now repeat for the rest of your letters!  I am looking forward to when Steven is old enough that I can use these to teach him how to spell his name.




No comments:

Post a Comment