Tuesday 8 September 2015

Lessons from a Baby: Determination

As I watch my son learn and grow, I can't help but be impressed by how much determination he has.  When he was two months old, he learned what standing up was.  From that moment on he was determined to learn to stand up.  He would grunt and strain as he attempted to hold his weight on his chubby little legs, and when we would put him down again he would fuss, insisting that we let him try again. 

Now that he has learned to crawl, a whole new world of discovery has opened up to him.  He is constantly trying new things and trying to get to new places.  He is always pushing himself to the limits of what he is able to do, and what mommy will let him do!  While it can get annoying to have to keep distracting him from his beeline to those oh-so-fascinating power cords, I can't help but admire his determination.

As we get older, I think it's easy to lose that determination.  I know there is a lot I want to do - to get outside and exercise, to practice my musical instruments, to review the biblical Hebrew I have learned so I don't forget it all.  But I just don't seem to have the determination to make it happen.  It's so much easier to be lazy, to do things that don't take much work or effort.

But I don't want to be content with mediocrity.  I don't want to let days and weeks pass by without doing the things that are really important to me.  And so I desire and pray for determination, like my baby.  Determination to act on the desires that God places in my heart - to write a letter to that person who has been on my mind, to play music and draw and garden, to build meaningful relationships, to pray and study the Bible, to live a healthy and active life, to sharpen the skills that God has given me, to live a life worth living.

No comments:

Post a Comment