Thursday 27 August 2015

Fabric Headbands


I've been meaning to do a few projects while I'm at my in-laws' since I have a lot of free time, but as of this morning I hadn't done much other than get ideas!  But since I missed posting last Thursday I decided I couldn't let myself skip posting again today.  It was time to make something!  Some of the other projects I am planning on doing would be a bit too involved to finish in time, so I decided to pull out a project that had been in the back of my mind for a long time - making headbands.  A while ago I found a tutorial on pinterest that I was interested in trying, so that seemed like a good place to start!  I ended up making two kinds of headbands, because there were a couple different fabric options I really liked, and I tend to unnecessarily complicate things.  But it was fun!


Twist Headband

This fabric was my motivation for making something for myself.  I think it's really pretty.


To make a twist headband you need two strips of fabric.  I made mine 2 inches wide and 22 inches long.  You pin each strip of fabric in half lengthwise, right sides in, and sew along the edge to make a long tube.


Then turn the tube of fabric right side out.  (I suggest pinning a safety pin onto one end and threading it through the tube to turn it right side out.  I didn't the first time and it took forever.  The second time I remembered the safety pin trick and it went much better.)  Repeat with the second piece of fabric.  Flatten the fabric so that the seams are in the middle of the back.  Ironing would probably be a good idea, but I didn't bother.  Lay one piece seam side up and lay the other piece crossing it seam side down.


Match up the ends of each piece with the seams on the inside.  Sew the ends together.


Sew the headband into a loop that fits your head, and cut off any excess.


That's it!




Braided Headband

This headband takes three strips of fabric.  I cut mine 2 inches wide and 30 inches long.


Sew the fabric into tubes the same way as the twist headbands.  Pin the three pieces together at one end and braid.  Pin the other end.


Sew the ends together into a loop that fits your head, and cut off any excess.  Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment