Thursday 13 August 2015

Kale Chips


My little garden has been producing quite a lot considering its size.  So far there has been an abundance of cherry tomatoes and cucumbers, as well as peas, basil, and kale.  Kale is one of those things that I appreciate in theory.  I know that it is healthy and all that, but I have a hard time finding ways that I enjoy eating it.  I first tried making kale chips almost a year ago.  I liked them, but it seemed like quite a lot of work for not much of a result.  However, as my bag of kale from the garden kept getting bigger, I thought it might be good to try again.  Considering my recent success using a dehydrator to make roasted chickpeas, I thought I would try using it to make kale chips.  Once again the dehydrator proved itself, and it made really good kale chips!


All you need to make kale chips is kale, oil, and salt or whatever other seasonings you want.  I have been growing two kinds of kale in my garden.  I tried both of them as kale chips, and I enjoyed the frilly kind more.

Start by tearing the kale into bite-sized pieces.  Drizzle a little oil over the kale and rub it over the kale pieces until they are completely covered in oil.  Spread the kale on the drying racks, turn the dehydrator on, and let it dry!  When the chips have become crunchy rather than chewy, remove them from the drying racks and toss with salt and/or any other seasoning that strikes your fancy.

While Jesse says that kale chips taste too vegetable-y to count as chips, I find that they are a healthy way to satisfy my desire for a salty-crunchy snack.  And they look pretty too!



No comments:

Post a Comment