Thursday 30 July 2015

Fig Jam


We were recently given a box of figs.  Cool, I thought, this gives me a chance to try some new recipes.  But then we googled the best way to store figs and in the process discovered that ripe figs don't last very long.  Like a day.  Not only that, we had plans for the next day and I wouldn't be able to try making anything until the following day.  That meant I would basically have one day to deal with a whole box of figs!  Back BC (before child) that would not have daunted me - I would regularly undertake several projects in a day.  But now I am finding that beyond the essentials (baby care, meals, laundry, etc) I can only manage one extra thing a day.  That meant that I had to use all of the figs in one recipe!  Jam seemed like a good option.

I found several recipes online and combined different aspects of them to make my own.  I'm very pleased with how it turned out!


Fig Jam

8 cups chopped figs (that's how much I had)
2/3 cup honey (I started with a half cup, tasted it, and added a bit more)
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp minced ginger (I love fresh ginger!)
1/2 cup water (I might omit this in the future, or try adding less)
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 package pectin


Cut the ends off the figs and roughly chop.  Next time I would probably cut the pieces a bit smaller.  They didn't break down quite as much as I thought they would in the cooking process. 


Add all the ingredients to a large pot, stir and bring to a boil.  Boil for about 15 minutes or however long you want to, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat, and follow whatever canning process you prefer.  The amount of figs that I had ended up only making two and a half jars.


While figs aren't my favourite fruit ever, I really like this jam!  It's not too sweet and has a bit of a bite.  I'd definitely make it again, if someone else ever happens to give me a box of figs!


No comments:

Post a Comment