Tuesday 31 March 2015

Game Review: Geoguessr

I'd like to take the opportunity today to introduce you to my favourite online game: GeoGuessr.  I came across this game on the internet about six months ago, and it still hasn't gotten old.  (It is true that I don't play it as often as I used to, but that has more to do with having a baby than the quality of the game!)


How it works:
Do you know the "street view" option on Google Earth maps?  Basically, GeoGuessr places you somewhere on a street somewhere in the world, and you have to figure out where you are.  You can move forward and backward along the street and turn onto other streets while looking for clues to help you pinpoint your location.  There is a world map in the bottom right corner of the screen that you use to make your guess.  Once you make your guess, you are shown where the actual location was, and how far your guess was from the correct location.  You are awarded points based on how close your guess was, with a maximum of 5,000 points per map.  One round of the game involves 5 maps, so a perfect score would be 25,000 points.

There are also variations on the basic game that let you select a certain area of the world.  Some examples include Canada, the European Union, and Australia.

I really enjoy this game!  It's kind of like a puzzle or a detective game, and you get to see what different parts of the world look like, as if you were driving or walking along their streets.  Finding clues can be hard or easy, depending on what part of the world you find yourself in.  Flags help a lot, as does checking to see what language the road signs are in.  Highway numbers, city distance signs, and street names are great for narrowing down where you are once you've figured out what country you're in.  And of course you can take hints from the kind of landscape you can see!


GeoGuessr is both fun and educational.  I am really looking forward to when I have kids that are old enough that I can use this game to teach them geography!

Do you like puzzles, maps, or seeing other parts of the world?  You should try it out!

Here is the link:  https://geoguessr.com/more-maps

My top score for the world category is 24993 and my top score for Canada is 24999.  Think you can beat me??

No comments:

Post a Comment