Sunday 29 March 2015

10 Things I Didn't Know About Being a Mom

In the weeks and months before becoming a mom, a lot of people enjoyed telling me about what to expect.  Tips and suggestions were given in abundance.  As I reflect on nearly three months of motherhood(!), a few things came to mind that I had not been expecting as I embarked on the adventure of being a mom.  My list made me smile, so I thought I would share it with you!


10. Your perspective on labour changes.  When I was pregnant, I heard labour often referred to as a marathon.  This was usually accompanied by advice about taking care of yourself, and doing your best to rest, eat, etc. And that was really good advice.  However, after the first few weeks of having a newborn, you realize that labour was more of a sprint.  It's the weeks following labour that are more like a marathon!

9. Everything smells like stale milk.  Everything.  Your clothes, your hair, your bed, the couch, yeah pretty much the whole house.  And the car.  I'm kind of getting used to the smell, to be honest.  It's not so bad.

8. Burping always works - on me.  I used to have an idyllic picture of what burping a baby was like.  You hold the baby to your shoulder and gently pat his back a couple of times and that's all it takes, right?  Apparently it's not that simple.  Trying to coax out that reluctant bubble of gas at times seems on par with untying the Gordian Knot!  I, on the other hand, burp every time without fail!

7. When babies need to pass gas, they just let 'er rip.  And they are not shy about it.  How can that loud of a sound come out of that small of a person?!

6. Bodily functions become super exciting.  Burping, farting, pooing, and peeing all become an interesting part of the day, and an engaging topic of conversation.

5. Lists of dos and don'ts quickly become guilt trips, but don't always guide your decisions.  Sometimes it is simply desperation that guides your decisions.

4. There is no more place for pride.  For example: I don't drink coffee.  I never have, and I still don't plan on it.  I made it through college and got my bachelor's degree without ever drinking a cup of coffee, and I was quite proud of that.  Now I am a new mom.  I have seriously considered drinking coffee.  On many occasions.  I still haven't, but there are days that it is very tempting.

3. Sometimes you feel like super mom and sometimes you feel like a miserable failure.  Sometimes both on the same day.  Or within the same hour.

2.  People actually like being asked to help.  I have been overwhelmed with all the people who have been so eager to help us out.  From people at church who brought us meals, to friends providing free babysitting, to the many many gifts from family and friends, we have felt so blessed!  I don't know how I would have made it through the first month without all of the people who were there for me when I called on them, to help out with housework or watch the baby while I had a nap.

1. Your mood can change in a moment.  When you're tired, frustrated, at the end of your rope, and wondering why you ever wanted a baby, it only takes a moment - one little smile, a perfect tiny hand clasping your finger tightly, or eyelids drooping into gentle, trusting sleep in your arms - and suddenly it's all worthwhile.

Are you a mother?  What did you find surprising or unexpected when you first became a mom?

No comments:

Post a Comment