Friday 23 December 2016

Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits


I really like chicken pot pie.  To be honest, I like any kind of meat pie.  Or just any kind of pie.  Basically, I love pastry.  But chicken pot pie is pretty great!  However, making that oh-so-yummy pastry takes extra work, and most days I just don't have time.

One day I was really wanting to make chicken pot pie for supper, but didn't have the extra time or energy to make pastry.  I was contemplating this when I remembered something I saw somewhere once... maybe on Pinterest.  The idea was to make chicken pot pie filling and then top it with biscuits instead of pastry.  Now the pastry may or may not be the best part, but I thought it would be worth giving it a try anyways!

So here it is: Chicken Pot Pie With Biscuits


It starts with lots of chopping.  First you chop some chicken into pieces and fry them.  Then you chop whatever veggies you want and fry them.  I used onions, garlic, potatoes, carrots, and mushrooms.  I also added some spinach and chickpeas later on.  After the vegetables have softened a little, add the chicken you cooked earlier and just enough broth to cover everything.  Cook until the potatoes, etc. are almost as soft as you want them to be.


Mix some flour with milk (or almond milk like I did) and pour into the meat and veggie mixture, stirring as you pour.  This will thicken the gravy.  Continue to stir as it heats up again, then remove from the heat and spoon into a casserole dish.

Make some biscuit dough for the top.  Here's an easy recipe:

Mix:
2 c  flour
2 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp salt
4 tsp baking powder
Add:
1/2 c oil
1 c milk

Form the dough into biscuit-sized lumps and cover the top of the filling mixture.  Bake in a 400 degree oven for about 20 minutes.


Serve so that each person gets a biscuit on top of their chicken and vegetables.

I was pleased with how it turned out, and everyone said they really enjoyed it!

Success!


No comments:

Post a Comment