Thursday 18 February 2016

Game Review: Dungeons and Dragons

This game review was long overdue, so I figured now was a good time.  Every now and then I like to tell you about a game that I have been playing lately, and I certainly have been playing D&D quite a lot.

To start off, just a disclaimer that I realize D&D is a huge game, with multiple editions and endless possibilities, so I'm not trying to be comprehensive in any way.  I'm just going to tell you a bit about my experience with the game (5th edition) and what I think of it. 

D&D is a role playing game, with each of the players creating a character that will be going on an adventure together.  There are many different options for different races (like human, elf, or dwarf), class (like ranger, fighter, or wizard), and background (like hermit, criminal, or entertainer).

In order to play, someone needs to be the storyteller (generally called a dungeon master or game master) who decides what happens, narrates the story, runs the monsters and "non-player-characters" that the characters meet on their journey, and encourages the players to interact with each other.  There is generally a map, and each of the characters have a figurine that they can use to show where they are on the map as they talk with each other and describe what their characters are doing.  Generally if you want to attempt doing something, you will roll one or more dice, and your success depends on how good the roll is combined with your character's ability in that area.

I think that someone's experience of D&D will depend a lot on the people that they play with.  The storyteller does a lot to set the tone of the game, and the players can have a varying degree of seriousness or lightheartedness about the game.  In most of the games I have played there have been lots of jokes and laughter.  We get into the story, but have a lot of fun while we're playing.

Playing D&D does take quite an investment if there isn't a game already happening that you can just join.  The materials and supplies aren't cheap, and it can take quite a bit of time to create characters and prepare the story (even if you are following a prewritten story).  But it can be well worth the investment, especially if you have a good group of people to play with!



For more of my thoughts on D&D, check out my video: 5 Reasons Why I Enjoy D&D

Check out some of my other game reviews here!

No comments:

Post a Comment