Tuesday 27 October 2015

Self Care

Sometimes I don't cope with life very well.  And often the transition from doing ok to not doing ok can be quite sudden.  I go from doing pretty well to crashing physically and emotionally within the space of a couple moments, and then all I want to do is hide myself in some sort of computer game, puzzle, social media, or other such thing that seems to just make everything worse.  And it can take quite a bit to pull myself out of one of those negative spirals.

I recently came across this list of suggestions of things to do when you're not coping with life.  While nothing on it was new to me, I find that I often need a reminder of the things that will actually help me feel better, rather than make things worse.  (Why is it that it is so much easier to do the things that make you feel worse?  That a very strange phenomenon, now that I think about it.  But that's beside the point.)

So I decided to write up my own personalized list of things that help me when I'm "crashing".  I wrote them on a poster and put it on the wall, so now I have a very visual reminder!  I thought I would share my list with you, and encourage you to make your own list of things that help you feel better when you're not doing well!


1. Have a glass of water.
I try to drink enough water, but often I forget.  Sometimes a simple glass of water is enough to help me start feeling better.

2. Eat something with protein in it.
Sometimes I forget to eat, or only eat carbs, which doesn't give me the energy I need to get through the day.

3. Have a shower.
 Feeling clean is wonderful, and being in the shower is undisputed "me" time.  I'm not on baby duty or under pressure to make dinner, clean the kitchen etc. because I'm in the shower!

4. Get outside for a walk.
Exercise, fresh air, God's beautiful creation... why do I stay inside so often?

5. Say something nice to someone.
It helps to get my focus off of myself and look for what I appreciate about the people around me.

6. Put some upbeat music on and start moving.
I find that helps me get out of a negative head space.

7. Hugs.
Hugs make me happy.

8. Wear something nice.
Dressing up as if it's a special day helps me remember that every day is special.

9. Go to bed.
So often I stay up later than I need to.  But sleep helps a lot.

10. Remember it's ok to have a break.
Often I put really high expectations on myself when I don't need to.

No comments:

Post a Comment