Wednesday 24 September 2014

Meditation on John 1:35-39

Dusty road
Dirty feet
The breeze, already warm, plays with my hair as the sun begins its morning climb.

Crowds murmur
Creating an atmosphere of anticipation
He is coming.
Which one is he?

There - my friend points
I only catch a brief glimpse
Set off after him
Not sure why
I just want to see
Want an explanation for the wild hope that springs up in my heart when I hear about him.

Closer now
The crowd is thinning
Suddenly
He turns
On that dusty road.
I am struck by his simple, coarse-woven clothing
Dirty feet
Plain face
But his eyes make him the most beautiful person I have ever seen.

"What do you want?"
He asks.
Asks me?
I look around, but we are alone
Even my friend is no longer with me.
What do I want?
I open my mouth to reply - 
My thoughts tumble over each other
There is so much I want.
Enough money to pay rent
More work for my husband
More time to get things done
Health and healing for family and friends
Peace for world conflicts
Peace for family conflicts
Peace for the conflicts within myself
What do I want?
I open my mouth to reply - 

But no words come.
Somehow 
All my worries
My fears
My wants
Have faded away.
When I am near this man
Somehow, I see things differently.
I see that my family is cared for
I see healing and hope restored
I see the Kingdom of God coming.
There is only one thing I want - 
To stay near this man.

My dry lips find words - 
Teacher, where are you staying?
He smiles
And I know that he understands.
"Come, and you will see."

No comments:

Post a Comment