Tuesday 5 July 2016

Making a House into a Home

Trying to settle into a new home is quite the process!  The time and energy it takes really caught me off guard this time.  We moved just over two months ago now, and it still feels like we have so much to do to finish settling! 

I suppose this move was pretty different than the previous two moves we've had.  When Jesse and I moved into our first home after getting married we had lots of time to set things up, and since I wasn't able to find work that summer I was able to invest a lot of time into getting things the way we wanted them.  Our second move only involved changing units in our housing complex, and although I was pregnant and a part time student at the time, I still had plenty of extra time to invest into settling in.  This time I am pregnant again, but also the mother of a very busy toddler, who loves to get into everything and take up every minute of my time.  And we moved from a little apartment into a (comparatively) large 4 bedroom house that's old and has a lot of "character" (and random awkward spaces).  And we've spent most of the past month away visiting family.  Most of the boxes are unpacked, it's true, and things are functional, but it just doesn't quite seem like "home" yet.  That takes time.  Time that I just don't seem to have. 

We are making progress, however.  We just moved Steven out of our bedroom and into his own room.  Even though it's not quite finished being set up yet, it's usable now.  And, I'm happy to say, we have one room that is actually completely done!  Well, it's not even a room, more like a corner, but it is completely set up and perfect and I love it!  Check out our reading nook, isn't it great?



I can't tell you how good it feels to have a space, however small, that is completely finished.  And other areas in our house are progressing.  It shouldn't be too long before our room and Steven's room are done, and that will be our whole upstairs!  It's hard not having the time to invest all at once and just get it done.  I've been finding it hard to do much of anything beyond the daily essentials, but we will get there someday!

I'm not sure, but I think that our reading nook may remain my favourite place in our new house.  What's your favourite place in your house?

No comments:

Post a Comment