Thursday 28 July 2016

Garden 2016

I love gardening.  There is something very special about getting your hands in the dirt and watching things grow.  I got to garden a lot when I was growing up, but it's been harder since I moved away and got married.  Apartments with north-facing balconies aren't exactly the best locations for attempting to grow things.  Now that we are renting a house with a yard, I actually have the opportunity to have a garden!  Unfortunately, since we moved in at the beginning of May and the property didn't have any garden space prepared (except for a couple small patches of very-overgrown, shaded flower beds) we just didn't have the time to make a garden for this summer.  But I was still able to have my potted plants, which are doing significantly better this year, now that they have sunshine!

While I eagerly anticipate having a real garden next year, I am enjoying my small potted garden and the fact we have a yard now where Steven can run and play.  Here are some pictures!

Steven and I just shared our first homegrown strawberry of the season.

My herbs are in individual pots this year.

This little oak tree seeded itself at our old place, and now it's growing like crazy!

The rose bush that Jesse gave me for our anniversary this year.

Our yard has two apple trees, and I'm already using windfalls to make applesauce.

Our mystery tree, which I identified as a Butternut - we'll be drying nuts this fall!

The pile of lumber that is soon going to be our garden shed.

Steven helping Daddy build a fence.

Steven's new sandbox, affectionately called "pat-pat".

My new hat - trying to beat the heat!

No comments:

Post a Comment