Saturday 15 November 2014

Meditation on John 4:1-42

Continuing my series of meditations on John, these are three prayers from reflecting on the story of Jesus and the woman at the well.

“Through Samaria” (v.4)

God, in this life there are many choices to be made.
Some of those choices can be very hard,
Especially when they are between two seemingly good options
Or between two options that both have pros and cons.
But there is one kind of choice that I find very easy to make:
When one option is easy and logical 
And the other is uncomfortable and challenging.
I confess that when I am faced with choices like that,
I rarely even pause to ask your will.

Remind me that there may be times
When the best road is the harder road.
When you are calling me to take the path
Through the land of the people who despise me
Or that I despise.
Where I may not be welcomed,
But have a divine appointment.


“My food” (v. 34)

Buttered bread fresh from the oven
Warm, comforting noodle soup
Strawberries with ice cream
Chocolate chip cookies
Cheesy pizza
Apple pie
God, thank you for food
And give me wisdom
To understand
What truly sustains.
Your word
Your will
Your presence.


“Look on the fields” (v.35)

Busy with their errand,
The disciples missed it -
That the fields were ripe,
That they had an amazing opportunity.
God, give me the eyes to see
When the fields are ripe.
Break through the blindness of my prejudice
My own selfish agenda
My tunnel-visioned hurry
And help me see with your eyes.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment