Thursday 6 November 2014

Harvest Box (aka "What do I get to try cooking with this week?")

Living in Abbotsford, we get to take advantage of a program that is offered here called the Harvest Box.  Basically, the Harvest Box is a 10 pound box of fruits and veggies that costs $8 and that is available bi-weekly.  There are several things that I have enjoyed about this.  First, it helps stretch the grocery budget a little father.  Second, it mostly contains local produce.  And third, you never know what is going to be in the box!  So it's a little like Christmas... kind of.

But my favourite part about getting a box of random produce is that I am getting a chance to try different vegetables that I haven't cooked with before, and would never think of buying at the store!  Here are a few examples from the past couple of months, and what I tried making with them.

Leeks.  This leek went into a "Cock-a-Leeky Soup" - basically, chicken soup with veggies.

Fennel.  I had no clue what this one was - I had to look it up online!

The fennel chopped up a lot like an onion.  I sauteed it and put it in spaghetti sauce.

Baby bok choy.  This went into a stir fry.

Eggplant.  Along with the zucchini and some other veggies, this was grilled, diced, and served on pasta.

And I'm sure there are more interesting things that are going to show up in future boxes!

For anyone who is interested in more information on the Harvest Box, here is a link to their website: http://www.vibrantabbotsford.ca/projects/food-security/harvest-box/


No comments:

Post a Comment