Saturday 5 July 2014

Jesse's New Favourite Food

Last week I was going to a wedding shower, and I needed to bring some baking.  I thought, since I have a pretty relaxed schedule, I might as well have some fun and try making some fancy treats.

To start, I made Rocky Road Fudge Bars, a recipe of my Grandma’s.  That went well, but there were lots of extras, and Jesse couldn’t eat them because of the cream cheese in them.  As a result, I still have a bunch in the fridge, since I am not much of a sweets person.  I think I’m going to have to freeze them, until there’s another event I can bring them to!

  
I also decided to try out a recipe I found on the internet for Chocolate Donut Holes.  Sounded good to me!  Here is a link to the recipe:  Chocolate Doughnut Holes

The process of making this treat begins with making a cake-like dough.  I changed the recipe a bit, substituting whole grain flour instead of all-purpose, and using a mix of honey and cane sugar for sweetener.


After refrigerating the dough for a while, I had to rig a deep fryer for myself.  Our most heavy-duty pot served the purpose quite well.  I only put in an inch and a half or so of oil, since it seemed like I was using so much!  I didn’t have a thermometer to gauge the temperature of the oil, but Google is a mighty tool, and some research surfaced an idea: put a popcorn kernel in the oil and when it pops the oil is almost hot enough!



Instead of rolling out the dough and using a cutter, I took a hint from the comments under the recipe and dropped small balls of dough into the hot oil with two tablespoons.  I fried them for one minute, then flipped them over to fry on the other side for another minute.


The first few were a little burnt, so I turned down the element a little, and the rest came out perfectly! 

 
Once they were touchable, I rolled them in the glaze and left them to cool completely on a cooling rack. 



The end result was cakelike donut holes with a crisp, sugary coating.  They were nice and cocoa-y and not too sweet.  Jesse loved them, and promptly ate 10.  Good thing the recipe made a big batch!  He also persists in calling them “Timbits” – I take that as a compliment, since my donut holes are apparently worthy to be identified with the iconic Canadian treat.




No comments:

Post a Comment