Friday 15 September 2017

Mother

Gentle arms embrace
Reassuring presence
Banishes nightmares back into
The dream world, untouchable
Haven of safety
This lap, these arms
Bathed in warm light pushing
Back the darkness and fear
The old couch
Worn, but oh so
Comfortable, that is how
I remember it,
Legs curled up inside
Flannel nightie
A soft lullaby
Sends me back
To sleep.

Mine the arms now
Grown larger to embrace
These smaller ones
My lips now give
Healing kisses
And sing lullabies.
I hold my sleeping child
Soft breathing in
My ear, my heart
Overflowing
Still cold fear wraps
Its cord around
My heart, I know
My lips are not
Magic, my presence alone
Cannot banish all pain
The world is so much
Bigger, and scarier
Than I thought.
And so I crawl
Into the lap
That is bigger than mine
Held by arms that
Truly banish fear and pain
Never letting go
My fear is stilled
I sleep.

3 comments: