Friday 1 January 2016

A New Year

Welcome to 2016!

A new year has begun, and it is now the season when we reminisce about the past year, create unrealistic goals for the future year, and write the wrong date on cheques and other important documents.

But really, I like that the year has an ebb and flow to it, and that we are given times where it is natural to reflect on what has happened and think about what is to come.

I've never really been one for "new year's resolutions".  Maybe because it's something you're supposed to do, and being told to do something is a surefire way to make me not do it.  But still, this is a very natural time of the year to consider what changes I want to make in my life.  And not just because we are putting up new calendars.  The earth itself pauses at this time of year, as nights are long and living things are waiting for spring.  Also, when I was in college this is the time when I would start thinking about the upcoming semester and what I wanted to improve on from the previous semester.  Although I'm not in college anymore, I find that I still follow the college year in my mind, especially since most of our friends are either still in college or have recently graduated like us.

All that said, there have been a few things on my mind that I want to do more of in the coming year.  So I thought I would share my list with you!

5. Improve in Biblical Hebrew
A year and a half ago I took a biblical Hebrew course, but I have forgotten so much of what I learned.  I really want to re-learn what I've forgotten and put the work in to be able to actually start reading the Old Testament in its original language.  Jesse has been learning ancient Greek so I think it would be so great for each of us to know a biblical language.

4. Be more active
I always feel so much better when I have exercise/physical activity in my life, but so often it's the first thing to be cut when I am tired or stressed (which I am a lot these days).  I tried out a mom and baby aquafit class last fall which was really fun, so I'm hoping to do that again, and also...

3. Get outside more.
Seriously. Getting outside is like medicine for my soul.  But so often I get wrapped up in the things that I need to get done around the house and I don't get outside... sometimes for days on end!  But for my own sanity I need to get outside more.

2. Play more music.
I love playing music, but once again it can get lost in the clutter of the "to do" list.  I want to learn new pieces on the piano.  I want to sing and play worship music on the guitar.  I want to improve on my fiddle and Celtic whistles.  I want to learn cello.  Sometimes I want to play so much music that I can't decide and so don't play any at all.  Which is kind of ridiculous when I think about it.  So I want to change that mindset that keeps me from playing.

1. Write more.
I love writing.  I recently really accepted being a writer as a part of my identity (there's a future post coming on that topic) and I am excited to give more of my time to writing.  Whether it's through poetry, story, or blog, I love sharing what is in my heart with others.  Lately I have been engaging in the "Battle of the Evenings" regarding how I spend my time once the baby is in bed.  It's so easy to zone out with some online thing, but instead I am trying to use that time for writing.

Well that's it.  Did I actually just admit to having new year's resolutions?  Maybe....  But I am excited to see what this new year brings, and to do the best I can to live a full and meaningful life!

No comments:

Post a Comment