Thursday 24 December 2015

Dairy-Free Fudge


Shhhh.... I'm going to tell you a secret!  Promise not to give it away?  I'm giving Jesse fudge for Christmas!  He loves fudge, but it is pretty expensive, and anyway he shouldn't eat it because of the dairy in it.  So I am making dairy-free fudge!

To be honest, if you're reading this after Christmas morning, it's not a secret anymore.  But it's fun to think that we are sharing a secret anyways!

This fudge is so yummy, and it's actually a really easy recipe, so I thought I'd share it with you.


Dairy-Free Fudge


Sift 4 cups icing sugar and 1/2 cup cocoa powder into a bowl.  Add 1 cup chocolate chips, and set aside.  (If you want the recipe to be strictly dairy-free, be sure to use dairy-free chocolate chips.)


In a medium pot, measure 1/2 cup almond milk and 2 tablespoons margarine.


Heat on a medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until it starts boiling.  Remove from the heat and add the sugar/cocoa mixture.


Mix, and add 1 teaspoon of flavouring (vanilla extract, mint extract, hazelnut extract, etc.).  I used mint extract.  Hooray for chocolate-mint yumminess!


Mix until thoroughly combined.  I found that it got pretty stiff by the time I was done.


Spread in an 8x8 pan.  I used a silicone pan, and it worked really well!  If you use a regular pan, you would want to grease it or line it with parchment paper.  I found that the easiest way to spread it out was with the back of a spoon.


Cool in the fridge for several hours.


I turned it out onto a cutting board to cut it into squares.


And I decorated them with crushed candy canes.


In a tin, ready to give to Jesse!  The fudge needs to be stored in the fridge or freezer, since it gets pretty soft if you leave it at room temperature for too long.  You can check out the original recipe at this link.


Pretty Christmas fudge!

What are some of your favourite kinds of Christmas baking?

No comments:

Post a Comment