Thursday 3 December 2015

Cinnamon Buns

I recently found a recipe for 1-Hour Cinnamon Rolls, so I thought I would give it a try.  I was originally hoping to make them for our Saturday night game night, but Saturday was crazy so that didn't happen!  And I made them on Sunday instead.  You're supposed to use a mixer, but since we don't have one I did it all by hand.  That made it a bit more work, but it was still a good recipe.  And it makes a lot of cinnamon rolls!  But I do have to say that it took me significantly longer than one hour to make them!  Maybe the original author wasn't having to multitask while caring for a baby...

Here is my adjusted recipe:

1 1/2 Hour Cinnamon Rolls

Mix 3 1/2 cups of warm water, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup oil and 6 tablespoons yeast in a large bowl and let it sit for 15 minutes.


Then add 1 tablespoon salt, 3 eggs, and 10 1/2 cups flour.  Mix well. 


Then oil your hands and knead the dough for 10 minutes. 


Cover with a tea towel and let sit for 10 minutes.  During that time, preheat the oven to 400 degrees, melt 1/4 cup butter and set aside, and mix together 1 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon in a small bowl.


When the 10 minutes is up, oil a countertop, and dump out the dough.  Divide the dough in half, and use your hands to spread out half the dough into a rectangle.


Coat with half of the melted butter (it's easiest if you use your hands to spread it around).


And sprinkle with half of the cinnamon sugar.


Roll it up!


Cut into 12 slices.  I find it easiest to use a bread knife.


Place them on a greased tray.  I use silicone baking mats, which are great!  They make the trays nonstick without having to use grease or parchment paper.


Repeat the process with the second half of the dough.  Let them sit for a while to rise.  I found that they needed about 20 minutes since I use whole grain flour and that takes a while to rise.  Bake at 400 degrees for 12-15 minutes.


You can make icing with 1/2 cup butter, 2 teaspoons vanilla, 6 cups icing sugar, and enough milk to make your desired consistency.  I didn't have enough icing sugar around, but we found that the cinnamon rolls were very good with a drizzle of maple syrup!

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment