Friday 8 April 2016

Scarves and Tea

What do scarves and tea have in common?

They are both things that I have a lot of but hardly ever use.

For some reason I really like the idea of scarves.  There are so many beautiful scarves that I own or would love to own, and yet I almost never wear scarves.  The other day I was thinking about this as I was looking outside at the beautiful spring weather and realized that all winter I only wore a scarf twice.  All winter.  I know scarves aren't only worn in winter, but my scarf-wearing habits (or lack thereof) are certainly not about to change because the weather is nice.  I guess I'm just not an accessory kind of person.  But even though I know all of that, I can't bring myself to get rid of any of my scarves.  They just sit in my closet, taking up space, waiting for a time when I might get around to wearing one of them.

I have a similar problem with tea.  I love tea, I just don't drink it very much.  I will usually offer tea if someone is over, and if they want it I'll have some too, but it's rare for me to just have a cup of tea by myself.  Last time I checked I had at least 15 varieties of tea, and I'll happily get more if I ever have an excuse to. There is just something really nice about getting a new kind of tea.  (I especially like fruity teas.)  And I would also love to get into using loose leaf tea... though I'm making myself wait until I use up more of the tea I already have.  But at the rate I go through tea, who knows when that will be?

Scarves and tea.  There are probably other things like this in my life too.  And it bothers me.  I want to live simply, living with less, with the things I actually need and use.  Our lives get cluttered with stuff so quickly.  In the past I have found it very freeing to get rid of things that I didn't need or use (like the time I got rid of over half of my clothes).  Now that we are anticipating moving within the next few weeks, this is a perfect time for me to go through our apartment, getting rid of things that we don't need anymore.  I don't know if I'll have much luck with my scarves or tea (who gets rid of tea????) but hopefully there will be other things that I can pass along to make our lives cleaner and lighter.

No comments:

Post a Comment